Urgent call-in: demand Maj. Gen. Buchanan free Bradley!
Convening authority Maj. Gen. Buchanan
By the Bradley Manning Support Network. July 25, 2013.
Yesterday we listened to the prosecution trample on Bradley Manning’s rights during the government’s closing argument. Prosecuting attorney Maj. Ashden Fein repeatedly took Bradley’s quotes out of context, denying that he’d been disturbed by the war crimes he witnessed in Iraq or that he wanted to inform the public about them, despite ample evidence to the contrary.
Military Judge Denise Lind, who will rule on Bradley’s sentence in a few weeks, unfairly favored prosecutors last week by allowing them to present new evidence after they had officially closed their case. Furthermore, this evidence was in the form of unsupported testimony by Bradley’s former direct supervisor, who’d been disciplined for making homophobic remarks to him.
Call (202) 685-2900
The military is pulling out all the stops to chill efforts to increase transparency in our government. Now, we’re asking you to join us to ensure we’re doing all we can to secure Bradley’s freedom as well as protection for future whistleblowers.
Major General Jeffery S. Buchanan is the Convening Authority for Bradley’s court martial, which means that he has the authority to decrease Bradley’s sentence, no matter what the judge decides. As hundreds of activists join us in DC today to demonstrate at Maj. Gen. Buchanan’s base, Ft. McNair, we’re asking you to join our action demanding he do the right thing by calling, faxing, and e-mailing his Public Affairs Office.
The convening authority can reduce the sentence after the Judge makes her ruling.
Let’s Remind Maj. General Buchanan:
- that Bradley was held for nearly a year in abusive solitary confinement, which the UN torture chief called “cruel, inhuman, and degrading”
- that President Obama has unlawfully influenced the trial with his declaration of Bradley Manning’s guilt.
- that the media has been continually blocked from transcripts and documents related to the trial and that it has only been through the efforts of Bradley Manning’s supporters that any transcripts exist.
- that under the UCMJ a soldier has the right to a speedy trial and that it was unconsciable to wait 3 years before starting the court martial.
- that absolutely no one was harmed by the release of documents that exposed war crimes, unnecessary secrecy and disturbing foreign policy.
- that Bradley Manning is a hero who did the right thing when he revealed truth about wars that had been based on lies.
Remind General Buchanan that Bradley Manning’s rights have been trampled – Enough is enough!
Please help us reach all these important contacts:
Adrienne Combs, Deputy Officer Public Affairs (202) 685-2900 [email protected]
Col. Michelle Martin-Hing, Public Affairs Officer (202) 685-4899 [email protected]
The Public Affairs Office fax #: 202-685-0706
Try e-mailing Maj. Gen. Buchanan at [email protected]
The Public Affairs Office is required to report up the chain of command the number of calls they receive on a particular issue, so please help us flood the office with support for whistleblower Bradley Manning today!